Published Permissions

Monday 17 October 2016

For Someone Special............




Good morning!

Something a little "different" today for us!

I just love stencils and to work with stencils as high quality as this one is just brilliant! This is from Stencilgirl working on tissue paper - so shall we take a journey as to how I got there? - let's go!

Now, even to me, it's not that obvious where I started on this piece of artwork! Well, I actually started with my usual blank white piece of stamping card (Sheena Douglass stamping card) and laid down some Brusho's in a couple of tones of green and spritzed gently with water. (I should have taken a photo at this point but must confess, was so deep in thought I totally forgot - quite usual!!!!).

I then painted on a layer of Americana Decoupage glue sealer and laid my tissue paper (gift tissue) down and sealed again over the top. (Are you with me so far?) - good! I let this dry completely.

So, I placed my stencil on the tissue to see how it would look with the green coming through the open areas and liked what I saw! So, I had to reverse the stencil to do this (as naturally you would put a colour through the open areas and this would have left the face green!!! No no no, I didn't want that!!  

So, I mixed gesso with glycerin (purchased from a chemist, often used in skin products and totally harmless to your skin) to prolong the drying time of the gesso., Then brayered the gesso mix on to the stencil and flipped it on to the tissue paper and pressed down using a piece of copier paper.

Now, the coloured area with white gesso is actually the "solid" area of the stencil. (We are effectively stamping with our stencil here).

I sponged some Dusty Concord distress ink around the edge and again, left it all to dry completely.


I primed the edges again with some more gesso so that I could take the edges a step deeper with the Dusty Concord distress ink and stamped two birds (Inkylicious) and shaded those with diluted distress inks. At this stage I also highlighted the eyes a bit more with a white pen.



 Time to tidy up a bit I think!


Using the same American Decoupage glue I fixed my artwork to  layer of white card stock and tidied the edges of the tissue slightly - I still wanted a rather rough look though.


A mat was made sponging the same Dusty Concord distress ink.


I then stamped my sentiment "For Someone Special" and matted and layered the card up.

An unusual colour scheme but kept "thin" these colours work extremely well together and can be really rather pretty and peaceful looking.

Happy with that!

I would like to enter this in to the Cards in Envy challenge - "Purple and Green":-
http://cardsinenvy.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/purple-green-card-challenge.html


Thanks for stopping by,
Leanne xx











7 comments:

  1. Wow Leanne, this is amazing! I'm not sure where you get your ideas from but it sure does make interesting reading. The face has a spooky feel to it and it's quite hypnotic. I love your creativeness and you really know how to work these stencils. Fabulous artwork. Sandra X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandra!
      Lots of love, Leanne x

      Delete
  2. I had to stop by after seeing in the Cards in Envy Challenge. I'm glad I did...I enjoyed your description of how you achieved this work of art and learned a few things on the way. This is absolutely gorgeous and I'm so glad you shared it with us at Cards in Envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Ann, I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the journey with me!
      Leanne xx

      Delete
  3. So mixed media - LOVE IT. I am a member of Stencil Girl Club myself as I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE stencils. You really made this stencil come to life and it's just a great, creative card. Thank you so much for participating in our Purple & Green challenge at Cards in Envy. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh bless you Kathy, thank you so much for your great comments,
      Leanne xx

      Delete
  4. This is fabulous! Such a beautiful technique! Thanks for sharing with us at Cards in Envy.

    ReplyDelete